- The information we collect
- How we use and share Personal Customer Information
- Communications from Notfortourists.com
- Underage customers
- Linking to third-party web sites
- Questions or comments
1. The information we collect
When you use our site, we receive and collect certain information. The information that we receive and collect depends on what you do when you visit Notfortourists.com.
- Automatically Collected Information. Some information is automatically received and sometimes collected from you when you visit the Notfortourists.com site. We receive and collect the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the browser software you use and your operating system; the date and time you access our site; and the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to our site. We use this information to monitor the usage of our site. Also, when we send emails to you, we may be able to identify information about your email address, such as whether you can read graphic-rich HTML emails. All of the information we automatically capture provides us with the ability to enhance our customers' search and shopping experiences and to determine aggregate information about our user base and usage patterns.
If you would like to obtain more information about the third-party distributor of banners on the Notfortourists.com site and to know your choices about having such distributor's cookies turned off, please visit www.privacychoices.org. If you turn off the third-party distributor's cookies, you may still see banners on our site; however, the banners will not be tailored to your shopping experience.
- Information Collected Using Pixel Tags or Clear GIFs. To help us understand the effectiveness of certain of our email marketing efforts, Notfortourists.com may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies. Both technologies require the use of pixel tags or clear GIFs (also called web beacons). The "message format" sensing technology allows us to recognize whether you have enabled your email program to receive HTML emails; if so, this information is then associated with your email address so that subsequent messages can be sent to you in HTML format. The "message open" sensing technology allows us to recognize whether you have opened our email message. We can only detect this if you have enabled your email program to receive HTML emails.
Information You Actively Submit to Notfortourists.com. For most of the browsing services we provide, we neither require nor collect "Personal Customer Information" -- your name, email address, billing address, shipping address(es), phone number and credit card information. You can browse the Notfortourists.com site and take as much time as you want to review our books and other products, services and reviews without having to submit such Personal Customer Information. Even when you use our shopping cart as you browse, there is no need to submit Personal Customer Information.
In the following instances, however, we do need you to actively submit Personal Customer Information: when you want to (i) open an account or complete an order, (ii) subscribe to our Newsletters, (iii) submit customer reviews.
- Creating a Notfortourists.com Account or Completing an Order. You can create a customer account with Notfortourists.com to complete an order. To open an account, you will need to create a password-protected account with us. In doing so, we require that you provide us with all of the following Personal Customer Information: your name, email address, billing address, shipping address(es), and credit card information. We use industry standard e-commerce security technology to protect the Personal Customer Information that you transmit to us when you establish your account and each time you access your account information. [See Security] When setting up the account, we ask you to create a password. When you want to make a purchase or change your stored Personal Customer Information, we approve your access by verifying your email address with your password.
- Keep Me Posted! Newsletter and Alerts. You may sign up for free email Newsletters and Alerts filled with recommendations and reviews for books, music, movies, and more. To do so, you will need to supply your email address in the Keep Me Posted! Preference Center. Please note that this Keep Me Posted! Preference Center registry is different from the Notfortourists.com Account and password which you set up to make purchases. You can sign up for our Keep Me Posted! Notices as either a registered or nonregistered customer of Notfortourists.com. Furthermore, the contact information collected in the Keep Me Posted! Preference Center is only used to forward the Newsletters and Alerts you select. [See "Keep Me Posted! Communications" below].
- Customer Reviews. When you submit a customer review, we ask you to disclose your email address in addition to your review and other optional information. You can choose not to have your email address displayed with your review. We only use the information you provide to us to chronicle your review; we do not use such information for marketing purposes. Because your email address at your election can be displayed with your reviews, we can make no assurance that others will not use the information you have provided.
2. How we use and share Personal Customer Information
Occasionally, Notfortourists.com uses Personal Customer Information to market products and services. You can opt-out from us using your information for this purpose at any time by visiting Account and following the instructions under Name, Password, and Communication Preferences
Notfortourists.com shares Personal Customer Information that we collect as follows:
- Subcontractors. We send Personal Customer Information to third-party subcontractors and agents that work on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use the Personal Customer Information beyond what is necessary to assist us. They are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the Personal Customer Information and are restricted from using such information in any way not expressly authorized by Notfortourists.com.
- Service Providers. We send Personal Customer Information to third-party providers of goods and services that you may purchase from time to time on our site (e.g., magazines). Like subcontractors, these third parties do not have the right to use the Personal Customer Information beyond what is necessary to assist us. They are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the Personal Customer Information and are restricted from using such information in any way not expressly authorized by Notfortourists.com.
- Membership programs. We work with certain companies who, in conjunction with their own membership programs or rewards programs, require that we disclose purchasing information about their customers who visit the Notfortourists.com site through links from the partner sites, or use the partner's credit card to make purchases on the Notfortourists.com site (e.g., to earn points for purchases made on the Notfortourists.com site through links from the partner site). We disclose only the information required to make these programs work and support your membership with them, which typically includes the name and/or email address of the user as well as the dollar amount of purchases made. We disclose this information to companies under an agreement that requires that they obtain your consent first, usually under the membership or participation rules. If you do not want us to disclose that information to the strategic partner, then you must contact them directly.
- Credit card companies. Credit card transactions are handled by a third-party financial institution and their vendors, which receive the credit card number and other personal identifying information only to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions.
- Not For Tourists Bookstores. To facilitate special orders from certain stores of our affiliate, Not For Tourists Booksellers Inc., we provide such affiliate with limited access to billing and shipping addresses of our customers. Such affiliate does not have access to credit card information or order history and cannot make changes to customer accounts.
- Trustworthy Third Parties. From time to time, on limited bases, we share with trustworthy third parties contact information of our registered customers so that such third parties can promote their products and services. You, as a registered customer, can opt out from our disclosure of your information for this purpose at any time by visiting Account and following the instructions under Name, Password, and Communication Preferences.
- Law Enforcement Investigations. Notfortourists.com may release Personal Customer Information when we believe, in our good judgment, that such release is reasonably necessary to comply with law, enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Notfortourists.com, our users, or others.
3. Communications from Notfortourists.com
As a customer, you may receive the following communications from the Notfortourists.com:
- Communications related to transaction and account maintenance activities. These communications include without limitation: order confirmations; order update notices; order problem notices; and notices regarding material changes to site policies and account management procedures.
- Communications containing information about Notfortourists.com and its partners products and services. We send promotional emails and other outbound communications to Notfortourists.com customers regarding products and services from Notfortourists.com, its subsidiaries and trustworthy third parties. Any Notfortourists.com customer who does not wish to receive such product and service communications can choose to remove his or her contact information from our contact list at any time by going to Account selecting "Name, Password, and Communication Preferences," identifying the "Change My Communication Preferences" section, unchecking the box, and then submitting such changes by selecting the "Save Changes" button on the bottom of the page.
4. Underage customers
Our products and services are marketed for purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. This is why Notfortourists.com requires a credit card that has been authorized for use to complete purchases on our site.
From time to time, parents and guardians allow their children under the age of 18 to browse our site and to post reviews. Notfortourists.com highly values these views on the books and other products and services we offer. As such, users of our site have the opportunity in many instances to submit their reviews. Each user also has the option to post his or her email address and other contact information so that other users of our site may contact them directly. However, to protect the privacy of any user of our site who is under the age of 13, we do not permit them to post any contact information. Please see Review Rules for further information.
5. Linking to third-party web sites
When you click on links and banners on our site that take you to third-party web sites, you will be subject to the third parties' privacy policies. While we support the protection of privacy on the Internet, Notfortourists.com cannot be responsible for the actions of any third-party web sites. We encourage you to read the posted privacy statement of any and every site you visit, whether you are linking from our site or browsing on your own.
7. Questions or comments
. For all other inquiries, please contact Customer Service.
1. Protecting your information
The Personal Customer Information you provide -- including your credit card information -- to establish an account with us and to make purchases from us is secured using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology. We use this SSL technology to prevent such information from being intercepted and read as it is transmitted over the Internet. The encrypted data goes to a secure site where your information is stored on restricted-access computers located at restricted-access sites.
2. Password security
To further secure your Personal Customer Information, we require you to create a customer password when you establish an account with us. We encourage you to use a password that is not easily guessed (i.e., don't use your name or street name). Keep your password secret; do not share it with anyone. The only way you can place an order with us online is by entering both your registered email address and password.
If you forget your password, you can contact Customer Service and they will send you your password. It will be sent to the email address under which your Notfortourists.com Account is assigned. If you want to change your password or other account information, simply click on Account and go to "Name, Password and Communication Preferences" and follow the instructions for changing passwords.
3. Remember to sign out
To further prevent unauthorized access to your account, remember that, after you sign in, you should sign out once you have (i) completed your transaction, (i) completed managing your account, or (iii) decided to step away from your computer. Anyone who accesses your computer after you have signed in but before you have signed out can access your account.
4. Safe Shopping Guarantee
Under federal law, a credit card issuer cannot make you liable for charges in excess of $50.00 that result from the unauthorized use of your credit card. There are similar federal laws that relate to debit cards. Exceptions do apply, and you will have to comply with the rules of your credit card or debit card issuer, so please contact your card issuer for further details.
If a credit card or debit card issuer assesses you a fee because of the unauthorized use of your credit card or debit card on our site, Notfortourists.com will reimburse you for such amount up to $50.00. Please contact our Customer Service for details.
5. Alternative customer purchasing options
If you do not feel comfortable sending your credit card information to us over the Internet, you still can shop with us. We welcome you to call us to complete your purchase by phone. Please go to our Help Desk link and see the Payment Options section for details.
6. Changes to security
This security policy was last changed on July 1, 2005. Notfortourists.com reserves the right to modify or amend this policy at any time by posting the revised security policy on our site. The changes will only affect the information we collect after the effective date of the change to our security policy unless we clearly express otherwise.